top
 
 
main page Shore Excursions Travel in Ukraine Tours in Ukraine Hotels Photo Gallery Contact Us


 
 


The name is sometimes spelled as Feodosia οr Theodosia, according to transliteration from the Greek. It is one of the oldest continuously inhabited places in Europe. It’s known history counts more than 2500 years. The city was founded under the name of Theodosia (“God given”) by Greek colonists from Miletos. Noted for its rich agricultural lands, on which its trade depended, it was destroyed by the Huns in the 4th century AD. Theodosia remained a minor village for much of the next nine hundred years. It was at various times part of the sphere of influence of the Khazars and of the Byzantine Empire. Like the rest of Crimea, it fell under the domination of the Kipchaks and was conquered by the Mongols in the 1230s.Theodosia is known for the role it played in the salve trade in Ottoman times. Thousands of captives of all nationalities but mainly Slavic were sold to bigger markets in High Porte.
Ottoman control ceased when the expanding Russian Empire conquered the whole Crimea in 1783. It was renamed Feodosiya in 1802, a Russian version of the ancient Greek name.
In 1954, it was transferred to the administrative control of the Ukrainian SSR with the rest of Crimea. Modern Feodosiya is a popular resort city. It has beaches, mineral springs, and mud baths, and is renowned for its many sanatoria and rest homes. The main attractions for tourists in Feodosia traditionally are the medieval Armenian churches, Muslim mosques, and the splendid gallery full of masterpieces presented to the city by the owner himself – Ivan Ayvazovsky – the artist recognized by the Russian imperial court and the Ottoman sultans equally, considered Feodosia his native place. He lived and worked here for many years. Another big attraction is the remains of a Genoese fort of the 14th century. Feodosia fortress is somewhat in the shadow of a more famous and popular Sudak fortress of the same period and origin in 55 km to the south.